Jun 03, 2020
Return to: Academic Programs/Curriculum Guides
The General Education Core certificate provides students with the required coursework in the general education core for the Associate of Arts and the Associate of Science degrees offered at each community college in Tennessee and also fulfills the general education core requirements at each Tennessee Board of Regents university.
Additional courses may be required to overcome deficiencies in English, mathematics, and reading.
- ENGL 1010 - ♦English Composition I* Credits: 3
- ENGL 1020 - ♦English Composition II Credits: 3
- COMM 2025 - ♦Fundamentals of Communication Credits: 3
- *Humanities/Fine Arts Electives - Credits: 9
- **Social Sciences Electives - Credits: 6
- ***History Electives - Credits: 6
- ****Natural Sciences Electives - Credits: 8
- ****Math Electives - Credits: 3
*The Humanities/Fine Arts elective (three courses, one of which must be in literature) must be completed from the following: ART 1035, ART 2000, ART 2020, ENGL 2110, ENGL 2120, ENGL 2210, ENGL 2220, MUS 1030, PHIL 1030, or THEA 1030.
**The Social Sciences electives (two courses) must be completed from the following: ECON 2100, ECON 2200, GEOG 2010, POLS 1030, PSYC 1030, PSYC 2120, PSYC 2130, SOCI 1010, SOCI 1040, or SOCI 2010.
***Students who lack the required one unit (one year) of American History from high school as an admissions requirement must complete six semester hours of American History or three semester hours of American History and three semester hours of Tennessee History to fulfill the history requirement in general education. Otherwise, students must complete two courses from the following: HIST 2010, HIST 2020, or HIST 2030.
****Students should consult the catalog of their transfer institution for guidance in selective elective hours.
Students pursuing an Associate of Arts degree will be required to demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language equivalent to completion of one year of college-level work.
- Behavioral/Social Science - Select one approved course Credits: 3
- HIST 2020 - ♦Modern United States History Credits: 3
- Literature - Select one approved course Credits: 3
- Mathematics - Select one approved course Credits: 3
- Natural Science - Select one approved course Credits: 4
For Further Information
Dean, Humanities Division
Division of Humanities