2023-2024 Catalog 
    Sep 22, 2023  
2023-2024 Catalog

Music: Transfer to King University (A.S. Degree)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Programs by Degree

General Education Requirements

Note: All courses must be from the Approved Courses for General Education  courses for each category listed in the General Education section of this catalog.

Learning Support

Additional courses may be required to overcome deficiencies in English, mathematics, and reading.




  • Behavioral/Social Science - Select one approved course Credits: 3
  • Humanities and/or Fine Arts - Select one approved course Credits: 3
  • Individual Music Instruction Elective Credits: 2
  • Credits: 3
  • Credits: 1
  • Natural Science - Select one approved course Credits: 4

Total Credit Hours: 63

Additional Information

Courses cannot be used more than once to satisfy program requirements. All music majors are required to take a Theory Proficiency Exam. Those scoring below 80% on the Theory Exam will be required to enroll in MUS 1010 : Fundamentals of Music, Fall semester.

Individual Music Instruction Courses:

Transfer Requirements

The university parallel Associate of Science degree program with emphasis in Music is designed for transfer to King University and may be accepted by other regional college and universities which offer a bachelor’s degree in Music.

Since general education and major requirements vary from one transfer institution to another, it is essential that transfer students decide on a transfer institution as soon as possible and refer to the major requirements in that institution’s catalog when planning a program of study. The requirements of the emphasis may be modified upon request to meet the requirements in that major at a specific transfer college or university. Students must successfully complete placement requirements in music theory, ear training, and piano at the university where transfer is planned. Students must also successfully complete required auditions as appropriate. Students and advisors should run a degree audit using Degree Works each semester to confirm classes are applicable to the program of study.

Additional Information Regarding Foreign Language

At some universities, foreign language may be required in certain programs that lead to the Bachelor of Science Degree. Complete information regarding foreign language requirements at each university may be found in the transfer and articulation websites of the Tennessee Board of Regents and the University of Tennessee System. Community college students are encouraged to be familiar with foreign language requirements at the universities and, if applicable, complete the requirements before transferring.

Effective Fall 2011

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Programs by Degree